The North Entrance to Northeast Entrance at Silver Gate and Cooke City, Montana is open all year. Please note that this road is closed to travel just east of Cooke City from late fall to early spring. In the spring some roads are open to non-motorized recreational vehicles like bikes before they are open to motorized vehicles.
Roads will open to motorized, wheeled vehicles as follows (weather permitting):
- April 20: West Entrance, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Madison to West Entrance, Norris to Canyon.
- May 4: East Entrance, Canyon to Lake, Lake to East Entrance (Lake is one mile south of Fishing Bridge).
- May 11: South Entrance, Lake to South Entrance, Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- May 25: Tower Falls to Canyon (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway.
From late May to October, most park roads are open to vehicle traffic. Some construction delays will exist.
- October 10: Beartooth Pass Closes. Tower Fall to Canyon Jct closes. Dunraven Pass closes.
- November 6: All park roads close except from North Entrance to Northeast Entrance.
The only road open to vehicle traffic during the winter is between the North Entrance and Northeast Entrance (and Cooke City). Roads open to oversnow vehicles (like snowmobiles and snowcoaches) on the following dates:
- December 15: Most roads open to oversnow travel.
- December 22: East Entrance Road (between East Entrance and Fishing Bridge) opens to oversnow travel.
- March 1-15: Roads close to oversnow travel.
Note: Only commercially guided oversnow vehicles are allowed on park roads.
Disclaimer: As we do our best to keep road information within Yellowstone National Park up to date, please note that dates and closures are subject to change without notice.