Old Faithful Geyser, the most popular feature within Yellowstone National Park, is easily accessible. This predictable geyser shoots hot steam and water high into the sky about every 80 minutes.
- Old Faithful erupts every 45-110 minutes. Times are posted in many places.
- Explore Upper Geyser Basin and take a hike to Geyser Hill.
- Stay at the historic Old Faithful Inn.
- Take a snowcoach or snowmobile to Old Faithful in the winter.
What can I see and do at Old Faithful?
- Old Faithful: The most photographed attraction in Yellowstone, Old Faithful Geyser may not be the largest geyser, but it's certainly impressive when it erupts steam and water up to 180 feet into the sky. Eruptions last around one to five minutes. Its name comes from the geyser’s predictability. The boiling water shooting from Old Faithful sends out up to 8,400 gallons. Over 137,000 eruptions have been recorded so far. Eruptions take place between 45 to 110 minute intervals and predicted times are posted in many places around Old Faithful.
- Upper Geyser Basin: Continue past Old Faithful on a series of boardwalk and dirt trails that weave through the Geyser Basin.
- Ranger Programs: There are a number of ranger programs in the Old Faithful Area. Take your pick from guided hikes, talks, and programs just for kids. Ranger Program Schedule.
- Hiking Trails: A large network of trails leaves right from Old Faithful. Stay on the boardwalks for something easy. Or head on up to Geyser Hill and Observation Point for great views overlooking the basin. Another great option is the 5 mile round trip hike or bike ride to Lone Star Geyser.
- Biking Trails: A nice bike path leads from Old Faithful up to Black Sand Basin. The road to Lone Star Geyser is also great for bikes. If you didn't bring your bike you can rent them at Old Faithful.
- Winter Activities: If you visit Old Faithful via snowcoach or snowmobile, there is a ton to do once you are here. Stay at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge. Go cross country skiing or snowshoeing and visit geothermal features in the snow! Join a winter ranger program.
- Old Faithful Visitor Education Center: With one of the most extensive displays in the park, this visitor center has a movie theater, gift shop, and informational exhibits. Begin your visit to Old Faithful with a stop in the visitor center.
Where is Old Faithful Geyser?
You’ll find Old Faithful Geyser in the Upper Geyser Basin along the Grand Loop Road, just 200 yards from the Old Faithful Visitor Center.
When is Old Faithful Accessible?
You can visit Old Faithful at any time in the late spring, summer, and fall. The roads close in late fall and reopen in mid-December to oversnow traffic. During the heart of the winter you can access the geyser via snowcoach or snowmobile.