Why should I visit Ennis, Montana?
With a population of only 860 it might be surprising that this small town packs quite the punch. Its artistic community and event filled calendar make downtown seem like it is always alive. While fishing is at the top of the list of things to do, nearby recreation is endless.
Where is Ennis Montana?
Located in the heart of the Madison River Valley, Ennis sits along one of three scenic drives that links Bozeman to Yellowstone National Park (the others being through Big Sky and Paradise Valley). From Bozeman, head east through Four Corners and Norris and then south on U.S. 287 to Ennis (roughly 1 hour from Bozeman). Continue on to Yellowstone via two different routes (each are about 1 hour 20 min). Head south on U.S. 287 and follow the same road through the Madison Canyon and Hebgen Lake, then south to West Yellowstone. Alternatively, head south on U.S. 287 to the junction with MT-87 and drive past Henry's Lake to U.S. 20, head northeast to West Yellowstone.
What sort of Services and Amenities does Ennis Montana offer?
There are about a dozen places to stay in Ennis and a handful of places to eat. Small shops line the streets downtown. While there is no major grocery store you'll be able to find mini-marts, gas stations, ATMs, and a post office.
What can I do and see in Ennis?
- Fishing: Fly fishing enthusiasts with love wading or floating the upper Madison River. Or you can take your spin rod out on Ennis Lake, or the nearby Hebgen and Henry's Lakes.
- Hiking: Hiking trails dive quickly into the surrounding mountains. Try Bear or Jack Creek.
- Rafting: Rafting trips are offered through Beartrap Canyon, just north of Ennis Lake.
- Virginia City: Just 11 miles west of Ennis, discover the historic ghost town of Virginia City.
- Lewis and Clark Caverns: Just a short drive north of Ennis, many visitors love hiking down into the depths of Lewis and Clark Caverns.
- Norris Hot Springs: These are some of the best hot springs around. The wooden bottomed pool is emptied every night so you can rest assured your are in the freshest of water. Live music takes the stage (right at the pool's edge) on weekend nights.