What are the typical seasons and road closures in Yellowstone?
While the park is "open" year-round, access is limited in the fall, winter, and spring.
- Always Open: No matter what time of year, 24 hours a day. You can always access the park via the North as the road between the North Entrance at Gardiner, through Mammoth Hot Springs, to the Northeast Entrance at Cooke City is open year-round (note that the road is closed east of Cooke City between mid-October and late-May).
- Fall 2017: The Beartooth Highway (east of Cooke City) and Dunraven Pass (between Tower Junction and Canyon) close on October 10th. On November 6th, ALL park roads close (with exception of the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
- Winter 2017/2018: This is the season for snowmobiling and snowcoach tours. Snow permitting, groomed roads are open to snowmobile and snowcoach travel from December 15th through March 15th (Dec 22-Mar 1 for the East Entrance). The only road open to vehicles is between the North Entrance and Northeast Entrance
- Spring 2018: Weather permitting, roads will slowly open to vehicles on the following schedule:
- April 20: Mammoth to Old Faithful; Madison to West Entrance; Norris to Canyon.
- May 4: Canyon Junction to Lake; Lake to East Entrance (Sylvan Pass).
- May 11: Lake to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), and South Entrance to West Thumb; Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- May 25: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass); Beartooth Highway.
- Spring is a great time to explore some of the park roads via bicycle.
- Summer: All park roads are open. On occasion, road construction can cause delays. Check the Road Construction Map.
Maps and Resources
- Current Park Road Conditions
- Road Opening and Closing Schedule
- Park Maps
- Winter Road Map
- Wyoming Road Information - for WY roads outside of park
- Montana Road Information - for MT roads outside of park
When are the Visitor Centers open?
- Mammoth Visitor Center: Open daily, all year. 307-344-2263.
- Canyon Visitor Education Center: Open April 21st to November 5th, 2017. 307-344-2550.
- Old Faithful Visitor Center: Open April 21st to November 5th, 2017. 307-344-2750.
- Fishing Bridge Visitor Center: Open May 26th to October 9th, 2017. 307-344-2450.
- Grant Visitor Center: Open May 26th to October 9th, 2017. 307-344-2650.
- Madison Information Station (and Junior Ranger Station): Open May 26th to October 9th, 2017. 307-344-2821.
- Norris Geyser Basin Museum & Information Station: Open May 20th to October 9th, 2017. 307-344-2812.
- West Thumb Information Station: Open May 26th to October 9th, 2017. 307-344-2650.
- West Yellowstone Visitor Information Center: Open April 21st to November 5th, 2017. 307-344-2876.
When are Park Campgrounds and Lodges open?
While Mammoth Campground is open year-round, all other remaining campgrounds are only open in the summer months from either May or June through September or October. See the complete list of Park Campgrounds.
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel are the only two lodges open during the winter season (mid-December to early-March). All lodges are open during the summer season (May/June through Sept/Oct depending on the lodge. See the complete list of Park Lodges.
What if I have more questions?
Give the park a call:
- Phone (Information): 307-344-7381
- Phone (Camping & Lodging Reservations): 1-866-GEYSERLAND