Riding a motorcycle through Yellowstone National Park is a popular bucket list item, and for good reason. There's nothing quite like flying by steaming geysers, roaming bison, and expansive views on the freedom of a bike. And it gets better. Scenic drives extend from almost every park entrance.
What are the best motorcycle routes through Yellowstone?
- Upper Loop: The primary park road is shaped like a figure eight. Many drive the entire road in a day or break it up. The Upper Loop includes Mammoth Hot Springs, Tower Falls, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, and Norris Geyser Basin.
- Lower Loop: As mentioned above, you can easily combine the upper and lower loops of the park road into one long day. The Lower Loop features Old Faithful and Yellowstone Lake.
- Grand Teton Park: After touring the park, exit through the south gate and continue your tour into Grand Teton National Park. The outer park road offers sweeping vistas while the inner park road lets you get a little closer to the mountains.
- Beartooth Highway: One of the most popular scenic drives in the area, Beartooth Highway begins just east of Cooke City and the northeast entrance to the park. For a fantastic loop of scenic drives, drive over Beartooth Pass, through Red Lodge, south to Cody, and then back up Chief Joseph Scenic Byway.
Where can I find a motorcycle rental?
Motorcycles can be rented in a handful of larger towns and cities that surround the park. Some outfitters offer guided motorcycle tours.
What else should I know about riding a motorcycle through Yellowstone?
- The park speed limit is a strict 45 mph.
- Weather can change unexpectedly. Make sure to bring suitable attire.
- Steer clear of wildlife. Bison have been known to charge vehicles and visitors. Please keep your distance.
Share Your Thoughts
- Guides & Tours
- Whitewater Rafting
- Scenic Float Trips
- Horseback Riding
- Camping & RV
- Hiking & Backpacking
- ATV / Offroad
- Outdoor Rentals
- Wilderness Outfitters
- Chairlift Rides / Ziplines
- Kayak & Canoe
- Horse Pack Trips
- Boating Trips
- Wagon Trains / Rides
- Motorcycle Tours
Alltrans Grayline National Park Tours
Join us for a relaxing day of sightseeing in Yellowstone National Park. Tours narrated by professional guides trained in ecology, geology & history of the park. Book today!
- Beartooth Motorcycle Rally
Plan your trip around this annual Red Lodge Montana event.