Opening and Closing Schedules
Mother Nature covers Yellowstone National Park in snow during the winter months. Visitors can access the park via car, snowmobile, snowcoach, and cross-country skis. Yellowstone regulates the opening and closing of certain roads for these activities.
The North Entrance to Northeast Entrance at Silver Gate and Cooke City, Montana is open all year. Please note that this road is closed to travel just east of Cooke City from late fall to early spring. In the spring some roads are open to non-motorized recreational vehicles like bikes before they are open to motorized vehicles.
Roads will open to motorized, wheeled vehicles as follows (weather permitting):
- April 17: West Entrance, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Madison to West Entrance, Norris to Canyon.
- May 1: East Entrance, Canyon to Lake, Lake to East Entrance (Lake is one mile south of Fishing Bridge).
- May 8: South Entrance, Lake to South Entrance, West Thumb to Old Faithful.
- May 22: Tower Falls to Canyon (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway.
- June 11: Old Faithful to West Thumb (Craig Pass).
From late May to October, most park roads are open to vehicle traffic. Some construction delays will exist.
- October 13: Beartooth Pass Closes. Tower Fall to Canyon Jct closes. Dunraven Pass closes.
- November 2: All park roads close except from North Entrance to Northeast Entrance.
The only road open to vehicle traffic during the winter is between the North Entrance and Northeast Entrance (and Cooke City). Roads open to oversnow vehicles (like snowmobiles and snowcoaches) on the following dates:
- December 15: Most roads open to oversnow travel.
- December 21: East Entrance Road (between East Entrance and Fishing Bridge) opens to oversnow travel.
Note: Oversnow travel ends in March. Only commercially guided oversnow vehicles are allowed on park roads.
Disclaimer: As we do our best to keep road information within Yellowstone National Park up to date, please note that dates and closures are subject to change without notice.
Share Your Thoughts
- Opening & Closing Dates
- Construction Info
- Upper Loop
- Lower Loop
- Canyon to Norris
- Canyon to Tower
- Fishing Bridge to Canyon
- Grant Village to Fishing Bridge
- Mammoth Hot to Norris
- Norris to Old Faithful
- Old Faithful to Grant Village
- Tower to NE Entrance
- Tower to Mammoth
- Grand Tetons in WY
- Beartooth Pass in MT
- Paradise Valley in MT
- Chief Joseph Highway
- Madison River
- Gallatin Canyon in MT
- North Fork Highway
GaperGuide: GPS Enabled Tour Guide
See the parks at your own pace, in your own car. You decide where you want to go and what you want to see, and the Guide automatically tells you all about it. Simple!
Visit Carbon County, WY!
Visit Carbon County Wyoming - lodging, activities, fishing, hiking, camping, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, and much more! Click here to request a visitors guide.