While Yellowstone is open year-round, only a few roads allow access in the winter. Plan your trip accordingly.
Yellowstone Road Closures
- 24-hour Current Road Report Hotline: (307) 344-2117
- Yellowstone Road Information
- Open Year-Round: North Entrance Road to Upper Mammoth Terrace. Mammoth through Tower Junction to the Northeast Entrance.
- Spring: On April 15, interior roads open to autos. The North Entrance to Northeast Entrance at Silver Gate and Cooke City, Montana is closed to east/west travel just east of Cooke City from late fall to early spring. The road between West Yellowstone and Mammoth often opens early for road biking.
- Summer: All roads will be open, except in unusual circumstances.
- Fall: Roads close in October at Tower Fall to Canyon Junction and Long Lake. In November, all park roads close except from the North Entrance to Upper Mammoth Terrace and Mammoth via Tower Junction to Northeast Entrance.
- Winter: There is only one road open to wheeled vehicles and that is the road from the North Entrance at Gardiner, Montana to the Northeast Entrance at Silver Gate and Cooke City, Montana. You may need snow tires or chains. Although the road is open all day and night, winter storms may necessitate it being closed temporarily. Roads open to oversnow travel on December 15th.
State Transportation Road Reports
- Idaho Transportation Department
- Montana Department of Transportation
- Wyoming Department of Transportation