Red Lodge Montana
Amidst the Beartooth Mountains, Red Lodge offers a premier destination for outdoor recreation.
Why should I visit Red Lodge Montana?
Red Lodge provides one of the most unique settings for a Yellowstone gateway town. Located on the far end of Beartooth Highway, the drive between Red Lodge and Yellowstone might be the most scenic stretch of road you can experience. The town itself is quaint, offering a handful of places to stay and eat, as well as shops. Red Lodge Mountain Resort is a great destination for skiers and boarders.
Where is Red Lodge Montana?
Red Lodge is located in south central Montana at the base of the Beartooth Mountains. It provides access to the Northeast Entrance to the park via the seasonal Beartooth Highway. Don't expect to visit the park from Red Lodge during the winter months. Nearby Billings, just an hour northeast, offers big city amenities and an airport.
What sort of services and amenities are available in Red Lodge?
For lodging, you can find a handful of motels and hotels, as well as lodges and bed and breakfasts. A small variety of restaurants can suit pretty much any appetite and it's fun to stroll Broadway Avenue for unique shops and galleries. There is one major grocery store and a few specialty food shops. Basic amenities like gas stations, post office, and ATMs are also available.
What can I do and see in Red Lodge?
- Beartooth Highway: Although only 68 miles, travelers should plan on 2 hours to drive the steep and winding Beartooth Highway between Red Lodge and Cooke City. This road is only open during the summer months.
- Red Lodge Mountain Resort: Red Lodge is open for skiing and boarding from late November through early April and offers a vertical drop of 2,400 feet.
- Candy Emporium: Probably one of the most popular historic shops in downtown, the Candy Emporium is a great place to satiate that sweet tooth.
- Beartooth Nature Center: A small zoo-like facility for animals that are unable to return to the wild. This is a great activity for families.
- Wild Bill Lake: Head to the peaceful Wild Bill Lake for a picnic and an idyllic setting for fishing.
- Hiking: Follow the West Fork Trail to Sentinel Falls or furthe on to Lake Mary.
- Bear Creek Pig Races: During the summer months, head out to Bear Creek Saloon for some good ol' fashioned fun. The kids will love placing bets on their favorite pig.
Share Your Thoughts
- Absarokee Montana
Small town along the Stillwater River near Red Lodge.
- Billings MT
Fly to Billings Montana for your Red Lodge and Yellowstone visit.
- Bridger Montana
Bridger Montana lies between the town of Red Lodge MT and the Bighorn Canyon Recreation Area.
- Red Lodge Lodging
Check out our Red Lodge Lodging Guide.